The Progressive Discipline Seminar (video on demand)
Now there's an easy way for Supervisors and Stewards to learn the essentials of progressive discipline in the unionized workplace
Learn how to tackle everyday discipline cases with skill and confidence from the labour lawyer who presented this seminar across Canada for 30 years.
This indispensable and unique learning tool is A MUST for every front-line supervisor and union steward in your workplace.
Registration includes the popular Progressive Discipline Binder – now
virtual and downloadable
SAMPLE VIDEO CLIP
Total run time: 5 hours 16 minutes
The Fundamentals of Progressive Discipline
Key concepts and underlying principles governing progressive discipline in the unionized workplace:
- Questions to ask before any discipline is imposed
- The key stages of progressive discipline
- Just cause, mitigating factors and culminating incidents
- Effective and ineffective warnings
- When discipline should never be used
Discipline and Human Rights
Accommodation and other human rights protections to consider before discipline is imposed:
- When to discipline, when to accommodate
- Enforceability of automatic-termination clauses
- Enforceability of zero-tolerance policies
- Enforceability of last-chance agreements
Drugs, Alcohol and Discipline
Guidelines for handling cases of misconduct involving drugs or alcohol:
- Distinguishing between substance abuse and addiction
- Handling impairment at work
- Dealing with the employee in denial
- Practical considerations for accommodating substance-dependent employees
Poor Performance and Bad Attitude
What are appropriate standards of employee performance and how should they be measured?
- Appropriate and inappropriate responses to poor performance
- Defining the standards and communicating them to employees
- Performance standards for probationary employees
- Can an employee be disciplined for bad attitude alone?
Dealing with Excessive Absenteeism
What are some legitimate employer responses to excessive innocent absenteeism?
- When is absenteeism considered innocent vs. disciplinary?
- How much absenteeism is considered excessive?
- When does termination become an option?
- When can absenteeism policies be challenged on human rights grounds?
Dealing with Pattern Absences
What options are available to employers when dealing with suspicious absences?
- When do employers have just cause to intervene?
- Appropriate employer responses
- When substance abuse is suspected as the root cause
- Surveillance and other options available to verify suspicious absences
Enforcement of Employer Rules
When are employer rules valid and enforceable and when are they subject to union challenge?
- The legal requirements for valid employer rules
- The impact of an unreasonable rule
- How should rules be communicated to employees?
- Enforcing rules that have been unevenly enforced
Total run time: 5 hours 16 minutes
Grant Mitchell, Q.C. is a labour arbitrator and former labour lawyer.
For 30 years, Grant has addressed thousands of union and employer representatives in cities across Canada on progressive discipline in the unionized workplace.
He has earned top ratings for his clear and effective communication style.
REGISTER IN GROUPS AND SAVE
|Group (3+)||$575 each*|
|Super Group (7+)||$545 each*|
|Mega Group (20+)||$495 each*|
- The famous Progressive Discipline (Virtual) Binder in PDF format with 112 pages with detailed coverage of all topics
- Over 5 hours of on-demand viewing pleasure
- 30-day password access