The 29th Annual Manitoba Labour Law Review (video on demand)
Couldn’t make the live conference?
ORDER THE VIDEO/BINDER PACKAGE and stay on top of the year’s most important new developments in labour law for unions and unionized employers in Manitoba.
Session 1: Manitoba Labour Law Update
Cindy Lazar and Fred Thiessen (morning of October 18)
A review of new Manitoba labour arbitration awards, human rights decisions and Manitoba Labour Board cases and their impact on Manitoba unions and employers.
Session 2: Three Labour Law Topics
Greg Bartel and Shandra Czarnecki (afternoon of October 18)
Workplace Defamation: When employers, unions and employees trash each other publicly
- Statements made by employers, unions and employees about each other
- The legal framework adjudicators use in assessing defamation claims
- The appropriate forum – where does the dispute belong?
- The key case law update
Innocent Frustration: Non-culpable endings to the employment relationship
- Frustration for medical/health reasons: What is non-culpable termination?
- Can the exhaustion of LTD/benefit plans lead to employment termination?
- Can the refusal to get vaccinated justify an employee termination?
- The current law on attendance-management policies
- Are deemed-termination clauses allowable?
What an ageism-free workplace looks like
- Human rights and the end of mandatory retirement
- Traps and pitfalls: Common legal mistakes employers make
- Union representation of older workers
- Workplace age ceilings for benefits and pensions: Are they legal?
- Ensuring an age-friendly workplace: Policies and practices that work
Session 3: Accommodation Update
Keith LaBossiere and Dayna Steinfeld (morning of October 19)
A review of important new accommodation cases from across Canada that offer valuable takeaways for unions and employers handling accommodation cases
Session 4: Ask a Labour Lawyer
Jeff Palamar (Chair), Tracey Epp and Debra Malmquist (afternoon of October 19)
Union and management counsel answer your questions on labour law issues.
Total viewing time: 10 hours 19 min
Includes Virtual Binder with 158 pages of indepth coverage of all topics
Greg Bartel – Union Counsel, Myers LLP
Shandra Czarnecki – Employer Counsel, MLT Aikins
Tracey Epp, K.C. – Employer Counsel, Pitblado Law
Keith LaBossiere, K.C. – Labour Law Counsel, Thompson Dorfman Sweatman
Cynthia Lazar – Employer Counsel, Taylor McCaffrey
Debra Malmquist– Legal Counsel, UFCW Local 832
Jeff Palamar – Labour arbitrator, mediator and counsel, Taylor McCaffrey
Dayna Steinfeld – Union Counsel, RavenLaw
Fred Thiessen – Union Counsel, Gange Collins
TUITION for video/binder package
Registration for the video/binder package includes the 158-page conference binder (in PDF format) and a video of all conference proceedings (10 hours 19 minutes) with 60-day password access.
Individual: $795 (plus $39.75 GST = $834.75)
Group (3+ each): $745 (plus $37.25 GST = $782.25)
Super Group (7+ each): $695 (plus $34.75 GST = $729.75)
Mega Group (15+ each): $645 (plus $32.25 = $677.25
To qualify for group rates, individuals must be from the same organization, or union local, AND register together at the same time. Individuals registering separately will not qualify for group rates.