The Progressive Discipline Seminar For Supervisors and Union Stewards (The Farewell Tour) (Edmonton)
Register toll-free 1-800-665-4411
THE PROGRESSIVE DISCIPLINE SEMINAR
(THE FAREWELL TOUR)
For Supervisors and Union Stewards (Edmonton)
After 25 years, this will be the last chance for supervisors and union stewards to attend this practical one-day seminar on tackling everyday discipline cases with skill and confidence.
Chateau Lacombe Hotel
March 7, 2019
Who should attend?
Front-line supervisors and union stewards from unionized workplaces who need to make informed discipline decisions.
Labour lawyers and inhouse counsel responsible for counselling clients on discipline and discharge.
THURSDAY, MARCH 7
Registration: 8:00 AM
Seminar 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Lunch break 12:00 – 1:15 PM
The Fundamentals of Progressive Discipline
Key concepts and underlying principles governing progressive discipline in the unionized workplace:
- Questions to ask before any discipline is imposed
- The key stages of progressive discipline
- Just cause, mitigating factors and culminating incidents
- Effective and ineffective warnings
- When discipline should never be used
Discipline and Human Rights
Accommodation and other human rights protections to consider before discipline is imposed:
- When to discipline, when to accommodate
- Enforceability of automatic-termination clauses
- Enforceability of zero-tolerance policies
- Enforceability of last-chance agreements
Drugs, Alcohol and Discipline
Guidelines for handling cases of misconduct involving drugs or alcohol:
- Distinguishing between substance abuse and dependency
- Handling impairment at work
- Dealing with the employee in denial
- Practical considerations for accommodating substance-dependent employees
Poor Performance and Bad Attitude
What are appropriate standards of employee performance and how should they be measured?
- Appropriate and inappropriate responses to poor performance
- Defining the standards and communicating them to employees
- Performance standards for probationary employees
- Can an employee be disciplined for bad attitude alone?
Dealing with Excessive Absenteeism
What are some legitimate employer responses to excessive innocent absenteeism?
- When is absenteeism considered innocent vs. disciplinary?
- How much absenteeism is considered excessive?
- When does termination become an option?
- When can absenteeism policies be challenged on human rights grounds?
Dealing with Pattern Absences
What options are available to employers when dealing with suspicious absences?
- When do employers have just cause to intervene?
- Appropriate employer responses
- When substance abuse is suspected as the root cause
- Surveillance and other options available to verify suspicious absences
Enforcement of Employer Rules
When are employer rules valid and enforceable and when are they subject to union challenge?
- The legal requirements for valid employer rules
- The impact of an unreasonable rule
- How should rules be communicated to employees?
- Enforcing rules that have been unevenly enforced
Grant Mitchell, Q.C.
Grant Mitchell is a labour arbitrator and educator with over 30 years of experience in labour law.
Mr. Mitchell has addressed thousands of union and employer representatives across Canada on progressive discipline techniques and has earned top ratings for his clear and effective communication style.
Chateau Lacombe Hotel
10111 Bellamy Hill Rd NW, in downtown Edmonton.
Includes one-day program, conference binder, Certificate of Attendance, continental breakfast and refreshments. Accommodations and other meals are not included.
Individual: $425 (plus $21.25 GST = $446.25)
Group (3+ each): $395 (plus $19.75 GST = $414.75)
Super Group (7+ each): $365 (plus $18.25 GST = $383.25)
To qualify for group rates, individuals must be from the same organization, or union local, AND register together at the same time.
Individuals registering separately will not qualify for group rates.
CANCELLATIONS must be in writing and received by February 28 in order to qualify for a full refund less a $50 administration fee. Non-compliance will result in liability for the entire tuition.
SUBSTITUTIONS may be made at any time.